The Pearson Test of Academic English (PTE Exam 2023) is widely accepted by prospective students as proof of English proficiency for study abroad or professional training. It is a globally recognized test that uses state-of-the-art technology to assess and assess candidates’ English comprehension. Reading, writing, speaking and listening skills are tested through a series of tasks.
PTE Exam Format: Section Breakdown
The PTE test consists of four sections: Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening. Candidates face a variety of assessments and tasks that measure skills in these four sections.
Speaking and writing (about 54-67 minutes)
As a specially designed PTE Mock Test, the PTE test examines speaking and writing skills simultaneously. Question tasks are discussed below:
- Personal introduction:
This is an ungraded section that begins with a request for you to introduce yourself in about 35 seconds.
- Read aloud:
In response to a 60-word text, you must read the contents of the text aloud. Preparation time: 30-40 seconds.
- Repeat the sentence:
After the test taker hears the recording, you will be asked to repeat it as accurately and clearly as possible.
- Describe the picture:
The picture will be displayed on the prompt. Candidates are required to describe the picture in detail.
This is a telling work. The narration will play or show a transcript. According to the understanding of the examinee, you have to explain it in his own words.
- Answer a short question:
In a short quiz, you will need to answer in one word or a few words.
- Summary of written text:
A 300-word message will appear. According to your understanding, you will be required to write a one-sentence summary (75 words maximum).
This is a topic-based writing assignment where you will have to write a 200-300 word essay.
Listening (about 30-43 minutes)
This section of the PTE Exam 2023 format consists of subsections and these are summarized in the following paragraphs:
- Speaking test summary:
Write a vocabulary summary of up to 70 words according to the listening guide. Preparation time: 10 minutes.
- Multiple choice multiple answers:
Choose all correct answers from the given options according to the listening instructions.
- Fill in the blanks:
Fill in the missing words according to your understanding of the listening prompt.
- Highlight the correct conclusion:
Choose a summary that is close to the information in the log.
- Multiple Choices, One Answer:
Choose the correct answer from the options that appear according to the information in the recording.
- Choose a missing word:
Select the correct missing word from the options displayed, which completes the recording.
- Highlight the wrong word:
Identify and select words that differ from the content of the listening prompt.
- Write from dictation:
Type the sentence correctly after listening to the audio recording.
Reading (about 29-30 minutes)
There are four sections within the reading section of the PTE Mock Test exam format. These are discussed below:
- Fill in the blanks:
300 words of text contain spaces; select the correct word from the list of options.
- Multiple choices, multiple answers:
Based on the 300-word passage, questions will appear. You can choose all correct answers from the given options.
- Reorder paragraphs:
After reading 150 words of text, rearrange the displayed text boxes in the correct order.
- Fill in the blanks:
80-word text with lots of spaces you can fill out the information from the list of options displayed.
- Multiple choices, one answer:
A 300-word message will appear. According to understanding, choose one correct answer from the list of options.
Some important pointers:
- The PTE Exam 2023 is graded by computers using artificial intelligence, which provides an unbiased and objective assessment.
- Like IELTS and TOEFL, PTE is equally accepted by universities and organizations.
- PTE test takers can receive their test results within five working days.
- A major advantage of the PTE exam is that you can send your scores to as many universities as you want. In comparison, TOEFL charges extra if you choose to send your scores to more than four institutions.
- There is a simultaneous speaking and listening test.
How do you register for the PTE exam?
Below are the steps you need to follow to register for the PTE Exam 2023. You should also visit the official website for updated information on everything you need to know.
- Step 1 – Visit PTE’s official website and select your test date and test goal.
- Step 2 – You should agree to the terms and conditions before continuing.
- Step 3 – You should choose a test centre, Exam date and time
- Step 4 – Next, you will get a confirmation window which contains the test type. appointment details and fees
- Step 5 – You will now pay the PTE test fee of $167.
After the payment Candidates will receive an acknowledgement slip by registered mail with details for the test date, which can be accessed through your PTE dashboard.